Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Why teacher appreciation should be done at the end of the year and a linky!

I left school today very downhearted.  It was another rough day.  It looks like our school is not going to be doing anything for us.  I think their train of thought is.... we gave them lunch at the beginning of the year, why do they need something now?

Let me say why we need some encouragement right now (and it does need to be more than an email)

1.  The students are already on summer vacation.  The teachers are still trying to make their days worthwhile.  They are not only teaching, creating, and planning.  They are trying to keep behavior under check.  One teacher told me the other day that it felt like the beginning of the year, because she is going back over procedures daily.  It is very similar to the beginning of the year.  However we are out of energy.  There is a burst of excitement (and rest) we live off of at the beginning of the year.  That enthusiasm is running very low right now.

2.  The teachers are tired.  We work long days.  Many of us do not get breaks except for the occasional two minute bathroom emergency.  By the time I am even close to being caught up on sleep (forget my housework!), it is Monday morning again.

3.  We are the most stressed.  Many of us have testing.  It is rigorous for us too.  We are reviewing and testing.  We are remediating and retesting.  It is boring!!  We hate teaching that way and most times it zaps the most strength and energy!

It is nice to hear from administration and parents.  Sometimes we are just like our students, we need some kind of reward (no matter how small) to know that we are thought of.



I am broke this week :(, so I cannot go shopping.  However I am going to give you a little peek at my wishlist!  I think that I have one of the longest wishlists.  However this is what I am excited about!!

Math Alphabet Posters for the Primary Gradeshttp://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Math-Alphabet-Posters-for-the-Primary-Grades

I have the other version of this and love it!!!  I would like to add this one to my room next year!

MATH ATTACK!: First Grade Common Core Math Mega-Pack {Addihttp://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/MATH-ATTACK-First-Grade-Common-Core-Math-Mega-Pack-Addition-and-Subtraction
You can never have enough centers and games!!

Superhero Graphics Sethttp://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Superhero-Graphics-Set
Clip art, do I need  to say more?

Making 10 Throughout the Year - Common Core Operations & Ahttp://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Making-10-Throughout-the-Year-Common-Core-Operations-Algebraic-Thinking

This is a concept I have been on for most of the year and some of my students are still struggling.  I would love some other ways to show them!

Blog & Store Organizer / Planner for Teachers (Teacherprenhttp://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Blog-Store-Organizer-Planner-for-Teachers-Teacherpreneurs-COMBO-PACKET

Lack of sleep and age has started to get to me.  I decided recently I really need this!!

Thank you for enduring a longer post!  Happy Teacher Appreciation Day and Week!!

Crystal

10 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more! What a great post! This is when we need to be rejuvenated and praised! I got a case of Diet Coke yesterday and I was THRILLED! I love useful gifts! I'm disappointed that your school isn't celebrating your successes this school year! Well, I hope you have a great week Crystal and don't be discouraged! You still have 3 days!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you're having a rough time at the moment Crystal.... I honestly believe teaching is one of the toughest jobs. It's obvious from your posts that you are a dedicated and caring teacher, just make sure you find time for yourself too! I hope your week picks up.... Keep your eye on those lovely school holidays coming up! :)

    Jess
    Early Years Fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I really need to time to rest and recover!

      Delete
  3. Cheer up Crystal. Summer will come and you will have a chance to rejuvenate. Remember the way you felt last week when you got your special boxes. Think of that and focus on some of the happy things that have happened this year with your class. Remember the sunshine moments instead of the stormy ones.
    I find that when I am getting down about the behaviour and lack of focus in my class I need to do this. I have to try to have fun with them so that it is happier for me too.
    We appreciate you in the blogging world. Have a good rest of the week.

    Charlene/Diamond Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Today was a little better. I keep mucking through!

      Delete
  4. Oh no, what a terrible day. Hopefully you can plan some much needed mental break time this weekend! Summer is soooo close. You can make it! Find one happy thing to look at tomorrow and focus on it. I like to pick a perky kid on my rough days :)

    Lisa
    The Lower Elementary Cottage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have several students that I depend on. The ones I can just trust! Thanks!

      Delete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear that your school isn't recognizing all that you do. As a fellow NC teacher, I know we're not getting any appreciation from the state, so our school is our only hope. If you haven't seen this yet, be sure to read it and know you are appreciated!
    http://jenhatmaker.com/blog/2013/04/30/dear-teachers-everywhere

    Danielle
    Carolina Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I have learned is that NC is a kind of stepping stone state for teachers. When we moved here, there were a lot of out of state teachers like me. They put in 1 year and went back home. That's the kind of attitude NC has about teachers. They see it as a revolving door career instead of a lifelong dedication!

      Delete